Monday, April 19, 2010

Blow you away


The cops have stopped ten miles of traffic
They're sorry for all the delay
No need for alarm as they're waving their arms
But they'd just as soon blow you away
- Robert Earl Keen

I don't try to hide the fact that I think I'm a better driver than "that guy". Horns are there for a reason and serve a very useful purpose; to remind you that I see your driving failures.

I was in a situation a few days ago where I was next in line at a 4-way stop. It was clearly my turn to go but another car jumped the gun, and the car behind him followed suit. I was cut by 2 cars so I gave a quick beep. As I proceed down the same road as the 2nd car he comes to a stop, gets out of the car, and mouths "are you beeping at me?".

Who else would I be beeping at? He must have known that I was beeping at him but I shrugged my shoulders, shook my head and mouthed "No". That seemed to relax the man so he got back in his car and drove away. No one took their shirts off or broke their beer bottles in two.

It did get me thinking about other outcomes to that very innocent situation. What if I had the same personality as "that guy"? Would we just have beat eachother to a bloody stump only to spend the next year in prison? I'm guessing prisons are filled with people like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calendar